Attorney Edward J. Hunt has been practicing law since 1981 and is a founding partner of Hunt Law Group, S.C. in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, which is available to help clients throughout the state with their criminal defense needs.
Attorney Hunt has devoted his career to defending those accused of committing crimes such as homicide, sex crimes, drug crimes, computer crimes and federal crimes such as conspiracy, racketeering, child pornography and healthcare fraud. He has achieved numerous victories at trial and won the reversals of wrongful convictions in the Wisconsin Appellate Courts and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit.
Attorney Hunt currently serves on the Emeritus Panel of the Federal Defender Service of Eastern Wisconsin and is a former president of the Wisconsin Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. He has appeared as a legal expert commentator on Court TV’s “The Best Defense.”
Attorney Hunt has utilized his experiences as a criminal defense attorney to help him shape the next generation of prosecutors, criminal defense lawyers and judges through his involvement as a teacher of continuing legal education throughout Wisconsin and in his former role as an assistant clinical professor at the University of Wisconsin Law School.
Attorney Hunt played rugby football for Marquette University R.F.C., Southside Irish R.F.C., Gonzaga University R.F.C., Windy City Nomads R.F.C. and Westside Harlequins R.F.C. The skills perfected on rugby football playing fields — tenacity, endurance and fortitude — have served him well in his career as a criminal defense lawyer. He completed the Chicago Marathon twice and the New York City Marathon twice. These athletic experiences provided him with the awareness that a criminal defense attorney must also have the same will, the drive and preparation to succeed found on the rugby playing field and at the finish line of a marathon.
Honors and Awards
- Edward Hunt serves on the committee that selects the annual recipient of the Dave Niblack Award, honoring lawyers who have demonstrated a career commitment to valiantly defending the indigent in the criminal justice system.
- He has appeared as a Legal Expert Commentator on Court TV’s “The Best Defense.”
- Attorney Hunt served as the Legal Expert Commentator for Milwaukee ABC affiliate WISN on the trial of State v. Mark Chmura and the trial of police officers accused of beating Frank Jude.
- Attorney Hunt is a former President of the Wisconsin Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, and serves as an ex officio member of that organization’s Board of Directors.
- Attorney Edward J. Hunt serves on the Emeritus Panel of the Federal Defender Service of Eastern Wisconsin.
Scholarly Lectures and Writings
- Former Clinical Assistant Professor, University of Wisconsin Law School clinical program, Legal Defense Program
- Attorney Edward J. Hunt has taught courses over the last 20 years at continuing legal education programs sponsored by the Wisconsin Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the State Bar of Wisconsin, the Illinois Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the Federal Defender Service of Wisconsin, the Milwaukee Office of the State Public Defender and the American Bar Association.